A few weeks ago, I wrote about the Importance of Ritual. Bringing a sense of ritual can be very helpful in your meditation practice.
Remember that I mentioned that ritual helps tell your mind that you are moving into a new space. Meditation is definitely entering a new space, so any cues you can give your mind will help you move into that altered space will make your meditation practice that much easier.
There are many things you can do to add ritual to your meditation practice. Here are a few examples:
- Unplug your phone
- Light candles or incense to set the mood
- Put on your favorite meditation music or white noise generator
- Put on a guided meditation recording (shameless plug!)
- Have a specific location in your home or office that you go to to meditate
- Sit or lay down in your favorite meditation position
- Count forwards or backwards
- Repeat a mantra
As with any action you take, the intention is what makes it a ritual or routine. Be mindful as you make your preparations to meditate. What is the main thing you would like to achieve or take out of this meditation session? A few things you may want to take away from your meditation include:
- A greater sense of peace, joy, love, etc.
- A quiet mind
- A solution to a problem or question
- Setting your intentions for the day
- A greater connection to your Higher Self or Source
This list is only a few of the things that I use meditation for. Be creative, and have fun with it! What rituals do you to to prepare yourself to meditate?