The past week and a bit, I’ve had the pleasure of experiencing some of the down side of detoxing. If you are considering taking on a detox, here are some of the not-so-pleasant side effects:
- Acne breakout. Your skin is the largest organ in your body. Aside from it’s main function of protecting your insides, it is also part of your body’s elimination system. So my skin is helping eliminate excess toxins…through my face.
- Eczema flare-up. For the same reasons as above, only this time, it’s my hands.
- Increased body odor. Also the same reasons as #1. I have a pet peeve about body odor, though. Especially mine. I don’t like it. So it’s been extra fun times for me this week.
- Increased inflammation. It’s wonderful that my body is releasing some of the bad stuff it has been holding on to for who knows how long. As it works it’s way out, though, it is causing more irritation temporarily.
- Irritability. Though this could also be caused by Mercury Retrograde, a full moon, or higher sun flare activity, the irritation caused by elimination affects the mind as well as the body. It just doesn’t make any of those other things any easier.
So what can you do to ease these conditions? Winston Churchill has some good advice for this:
When you’re going through hell, keep going.
There’s really no point in turning back. I don’t want to stay sick and tired. I am committed to feeling healthier. Here’s what I’m doing to assist my body in flushing out the build up:
- Drink lots of water. Water is one of the best cleansers, inside and out. The water will help your body eliminate the toxins faster, both through urine and sweat.
- Eat healthy foods. I’m “grazing” my way through the day with my raw breakfast and green smoothies. I haven’t really changed what I eat for dinner, and I still have some sweet treats. The bulk of my daily intake now is veggies though, so I’m making sure my body is getting plenty of nutrients. I’m also doing my best to avoid adding more crap in through my diet.
- Exercise. I’m going for more walks. (Well, I was before I twisted my ankle Saturday evening.) Exercise gets your body’s systems moving and helps increase your metabolism, which also helps release the junk.
Pretty simple. I’m pretty sure the worst of it is over. And I *have* been seeing some of the benefits as well. Now I just need to heal my latest injury…
Here’s to being healthier!